Friday, April 12, 2013

My Book


In my beginning
I sensed my shadow,
but refused to know it
An onionskin tome,
latched and locked
between hardened covers

Always looking away,
I was convinced:
It was too big
It was too heavy
It was not mine
It was a secret

Like a spectre –it loomed
and other shadows
drew upon it –took of it,
marked and tore its pages
In truth, I failed to defend
this misread book

As its edges grew ragged
and creases pierced me,
I wanted –needed
to unlock those stories
Introduce myself
Unfold my life

I heaved its cover,
let go of difficult words,
embraced each page,
smoothed careless dog-ears,
patched abusive tears,
and learned its purpose
-to serve, to love

Now I see it,
I am convinced:
It is big
I can carry it
It is mine
It is to be shared

Many chapters later,
I am peace-in-progress
I now walk with my shadow
Unfolding new stories
This is me –my life
My book to love
My book of love

Written for Every Day Poems Friday Poetry Prompt "Unfold My Life" via 

No comments:

Post a Comment